The marker, located on La. Highway 964 (Old Scenic Highway) has been newly restored after a driver knocked it down several years ago. The historical marker is located across from the entrance to Azalea Rest Cemetery.
Attendees of the ceremony were also invited to the nearby Annison Plantation House, 21475 Old Scenic Hwy., which was built in 1811 and purchased by E.D. Annison in 1891.
Ethel Annison donated the home to the City of Zachary in 2002, and Betty Tucker, local historian, has assisted in overseeing its restoration ever since.
Sunday's ceremony also featured several re-enactors wearing Colonial-era attire who raised and lowered the West Florida Republic’s flag, also called the Bonnie Blue Flag, which flew over the Free and Independent State of West Florida from Sept. 23 to Dec. 6, 1810.
This area was not part of the original Louisiana Purchase nor part of Louisiana when it became a state. However, as its first legislative act, West Florida was annexed and became part of the state of Louisiana in 1812.
The "Florida Parishes", as they are called today, include: East Baton Rouge, East and West Feliciana, Livingston, St. Helena, St. Tammany, Washington and Tangipahoa Parishes.
The newly restored marker reads: Delegates from the Districts of Baton Rouge, Feliciana, St. Helena and Tangipahoa-Tchefuncte met near here on July 25-27 and August 13-15, 1810, John Rhea presiding, and set forth their grievances under Spanish rule.
The meetings led to the revolution which ousted the Spanish from the West Florida Parishes area in September, 1810.