NEW ORLEANS - The Zurich Classic of New Orleans field this year is shaping up as a showcase of the strength and depth on the PGA TOUR, said Steve Worthy, CEO of the Fore!Kids Foundation, producer of the tournament.
“Of course, our defending champion Bubba Watson certainly is the leading light in our star-filled field, but we also have 29 winner of regular TOUR events over the past two years, in addition to the winners of the last two majors in Keegan Bradley, 2011 PGA Champion and Bubba in last week’s Masters,” he added.
Highlights and the list of prominent players in the 2012 Zurich Classic field include:
· 2 of the top 4 players in Official World Gold Rankings (Luke Donald & Bubba Watson)
· The highest rated American player (Watson)
· 4 of the top 10 in world golf rankings (Donald, Watson, Steve Stricker and Justin Rose)
· 6 of the top 20 (Graeme McDowell at 15 and Keegan Bradley at 20)
· 9 more players in the top 50 (Nick Watney, 22; Peter Hanson, 24; KJ Choi, 26; John Senden, 29; Jason Dufner, 32; David Toms, 34; Rickie Fowler, 39; Ben Crane, 48 and Kyle Stanley, 50)
· 29 winners of regular PGA TOUR events last two years
· Last two winners of majors (Keegan Bradley, 2011 PGA Championship and Bubba Watson, 2012 Masters)
· Defending Players championship winner (KJ Choi)
· 4 winners of World Golf Championships
· 3 U.S. Open winners
The list of notable players includes:
Winner - PGA/U.S. Open Championship:
Winner - The Players Championship:
Winner - The Masters:
Winner - World Golf Championship Event:
Tournament Winner/Past 2 Years:
Past Champion of Respective Event:
Top 30 on Prior Years FedEx Cup Points:
Howell III, Charles
Top 125 on Prior Year's Official Money:
de Jonge, Brendon
Adams, Blake Stroud, Chris
Pernice Jr., Tom
Top 125 (Prior Year Nonmember):
About Fore!Kids Foundation:
Since 1958, the Fore!Kids Foundation has raised money to fund children's service organizations through golf events like the Zurich Classic of New Orleans, the Golf Ball Gala, an AJGA event, a kids' summer junior tour, and several charitable golf tournaments. As a 501(c)(3) corporation, Fore!Kids has helped to raise more than $20 million to date for children’s charities in metro New Orleans and Baton Rouge. More information at www.forekidsfoundation.com.
About the Zurich Classic of New Orleans:
Televised in more than 116 countries, the Zurich Classic of New Orleans generates a significant economic impact on the city of New Orleans and the entire state of Louisiana. Independent research has shown that the tournament generates spending of more than $30 million within the local economy and garners $17 million in positive national and international media exposure for both the city and state throughout the year beyond the four days of competition.
Purse for 2012 totals $6.4 million. The winner’s share is $1,152,000. Single-day grounds tickets are only $25 each and weekly passes are $75, available by calling the Tournament Office at 504-342-3000 or online at www.zurichgolfclassic.com.